Hey! Thanks for considering a contribution to ¡Vaya Madrid!
¡Vaya Madrid! is all about connecting English-speaking residents to their adopted city of Madrid. The articles you find here are our experiences and insights about food, parenting, learning Spanish, culture, tech and lifestyle in Madrid.
We’re always on the lookout for Regular Contributors and Photographers.
Regular contributors are writers who have an ongoing commitment to put out an article of 500-1100 words at least once a month. There aren’t any fixed deadlines — you can post on whatever schedule/timetable with which you are comfortable. As you post more articles you will gain more exposure and build a stronger following.
What will you write about? Any aspect of living in Madrid that’s interesting to you is relevant. Bear in mind that this is a magazine that’s read by people who have settled in for quite some time, so please stay away from English teacher experiences or anything touristy. For a better idea of the kind of mindset we’re looking for, read a little bit about us.
At a minimum, you:
- have lived in Spain for at least 2 years and currently live in Madrid
- are between 25 and 54 years old
- are a native English speaker or proficient in English
It would be ideal if you:
- have an active blog (self-hosted, WordPress.com, Blogger, Tumblr, etc.), Facebook page or Meetup group
- know how to use Twitter and Facebook to self-promote
- have a handful of story pitches already
General guidelines for regular contributors
- All articles are written in English and are about 500-1100 words long.
- Articles should be written in a light, conversational tone.
- An author’s bio and photo will be included at the bottom of the article. Please keep your bio short (2-3 sentences).
- Contributors will retain the rights to their articles and/or photographs.
- Please state if the article you’re pitching is original or has been published previously.
Photographers submit interesting madrileño scenes for photo essays and from time to time, support writers by arranging photo shoots with their subjects (e.g. interviewee portraits, store interiors).
The ideal candidate:
- has their own camera equipment
- has basic Photoshop or Lightroom skills
- can come up with concepts for a photo shoot
If you would like to apply as a photographer, please contact us.